Roasted Corn and Garlic Rice Recipe
"I usually roast quite a few ears of corn when they are on sale and freeze what I don't use at that time," writes Marilyn Rodriguez of Fairbanks, Alaska. "This is a wonderful side dish to go with a fish fry, barbecue or almost any summer meal. It's a constant at my house."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Cook: 20 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 4 ears sweet corn in husks
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2-1/4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Carefully peel back husks from corn to within 1-in. of bottom; remove silk. Rewrap corn in husks. Place garlic cloves on a piece of heavy-duty foil; drizzle with 1/4 teaspoon oil. Fold foil around garlic and seal tightly. Place corn and garlic directly on oven rack. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes. Remove corn; bake garlic 5-10 minutes longer or until softened.
- 2. Remove garlic from foil and place in a small bowl; cool. Mash with a fork. When corn is cool enough to handle, remove corn from cobs with a sharp knife.
- 3. In a large saucepan, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add rice; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Gradually add the broth, bay leaf, salt, pepper and roasted garlic. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-13 minutes or until heated through. Stir in roasted corn; cover and cook 7-10 minutes longer or until rice is tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 291 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 628 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3-1/2 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC