Thanksgiving has never been the same since I tried this recipe. I have made it for the past 3 years, and it never fails to impress both in presentation and taste. This is a true showstopper!—Nancy M. Niemerg, Dieterich, IL
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 medium lemon, quartered
- 1 medium orange, quartered
- 3 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 3 sprigs fresh sage
- 3 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Additional citrus fruits and herb sprigs, optional
- Pat turkey dry. Combine butter and Italian seasoning. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from the turkey breast; rub half of the butter under skin. Rub remaining mixture over the skin. Rub cavity with salt and pepper and fill with onion, lemon, orange, rosemary and sage. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Pour 2 cups broth into pan.
- Bake at 325° for 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°, basting occasionally with pan drippings. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes before carving.
- Pour drippings into a small saucepan; skim fat. Combine flour and remaining broth until smooth; whisk into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Discard onion, lemon, orange and herbs from the turkey; transfer turkey to a serving platter. Garnish the platter with additional citrus fruits and herb sprigs if desired. Serve turkey with gravy. Yield: 14-16 servings (2 cups gravy).
Originally published as Roasted Citrus & Herb Turkey in Country Woman October/November 2009, p33
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Roasted Citrus & Herb Turkey
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review