Roasted Chicken with Veggies
Thyme flavors this moist, golden brown chicken surrounded by bright, tender vegetables. This appealing meal-in-one was submitted by Mary Beth Hansen of Columbia, Tennessee.
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium baking potatoes, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Place chicken, breast side up, in a shallow roasting pan. Rub with
- oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for
- 45 minutes.
- Arrange the carrots, celery, potatoes and onions around chicken.
- Combine butter and thyme; drizzle over chicken and vegetables.
- Cover and bake 45-60 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads
- 180° and vegetables are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: about 4 ounces cooked chicken (skin removed) with 1/2 cup vegetables (prepared with reduced-fat butter) equals 329 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 80 mg cholesterol, 187 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable,