Roasted Chicken with Veggies Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium baking potatoes, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1. Place chicken, breast side up, in a shallow roasting pan. Rub with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 45 minutes.
- 2. Arrange the carrots, celery, potatoes and onions around chicken. Combine butter and thyme; drizzle over chicken and vegetables.
- 3. Cover and bake 45-60 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 180° and vegetables are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
about 4 ounces cooked chicken (skin removed) with 1/2 cup vegetables (prepared with reduced-fat butter) equals 329 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 80 mg cholesterol, 187 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch.
Reviews for Roasted Chicken with Veggies
"I added garlic powder, onion salt and paprika on the chicken for some extra flavor. The chicken was very moist and vegetables delectable!"
"The veggies were delicious, but the chicken was sort of blah. It will go great in dishes made from leftovers, though! Still, it was easy and cheap, a big win in my book."
"Very good, I added about an inch of water to the bottom so veggies would not dry out. This was very good supper, served w/ (TOH recipe), cornbread dressing."
"Delicious! The chicken was very moist. I sprinkled garlic powder on chicken and vegtables too!"
"Delicious! My chicken was a bit larger, 4.5 lbs...therefore I cooked it about 20 minutes longer and added a little more to the butter and tyme mixture. Spinkled paprika , garlic and onion powder over the chicken which added a nice subtle kick. I will be making this recipe again!"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.