This roasted chicken not only has a down-home country flavor. It's attractive as well. Friends and family are always impressed when I put this on the table.
Recommended: 70 Budget-Friendly Dinners That Are Big on Taste
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 cups unseasoned stuffing croutons
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon or 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion, celery and red pepper in butter until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are crisp-tender; do not drain.
- Place croutons in a large bowl; add sausage mixture. Stir in the parsley, tarragon, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir in enough broth until stuffing is moistened and holds together.
- Just before baking, loosely stuff chicken. Place with breast side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Pour 1/2 cup broth around chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until a thermometer reads 180° for chicken and 165° for stuffing, basting occasionally with pan juices. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Roasted Chicken with Sausage Stuffing in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p56
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Roasted Chicken with Sausage Stuffing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 24, 2010
"I made this and then put it on my grill/smoker. The smoky flavor that the stuffing had was awesome. It will be my "dressing" from now on."