Roasted Chicken with Rosemary Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 4 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary or 2 tablespoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 whole roasting chicken (5 to 6 pounds)
- 6 small red potatoes, halved
- 6 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 1. In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in the seasonings. Place chicken breast side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan; tie drumsticks together with kitchen string. Spoon half of the butter mixture over chicken. Place the potatoes, carrots and onions around chicken. Drizzle remaining butter mixture over vegetables.
- 2. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours, basting every 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 30-60 minutes longer or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°, basting occasionally.
- 3. Cover with foil and let stand 10-15 minutes before carving. Serve with vegetables. Yield: 9 servings.
1 serving equals 449 calories, 28 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 126 mg cholesterol, 479 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 33 g protein.
Reviews for Roasted Chicken with Rosemary
"one of my husband's favorite dishes! only advice is to not go heavy on the rosemary. Can take over the whole dish. When I make this, I tend to scale back a little on the herbs."
"Just made this for the first time this past weekend. We loved it! It had a wonderful flavor and was very moist. I think it would have come out better though if I had used an actual roasting pan. I just used a 13x9 pan with a rack, and covered it with heavy-duty foil. But the veggies were on the verge of not being quite cooked, and the chicken took longer to cook than the recipe said. (I didn't check the weight on my roasting chicken; it may have been more than the 5-6 pound specification.) So next time I will use a roasting pan, and allow extra time just in case. The flavor was wonderful, as I said, and I liked the idea of a complete meal in one pan. We just added a side of stuffing and a dish of cranberry sauce."
"My husband's new favorite!"
"My chicken turned out tender & moist! I rubbed some of the butter mixture under the skin on the breast & that really gave the breast portion extra flavor. My veggies were a little overdone, so next time I will put them in after the chicken has baked an hour."
"Substituted Thyme for Rosemary. Very good. Kids loved it as well. Preparing to make it for the 2nd time tomorrow."
"We tried this recipe last night without the vegetables. Absolutely the best Rosemary Chicken recipe we have ever had. Thi is a "keeper""
"This was a wonderful chicken dinner! I modified it a bit and cooked it in the crockpot instead with broth and I used Nature's Seasoning in lieu of the salt and pepper. The seasoning was just right to give a mild flavor to the chicken. The veggies were great! My picky 6 year old ate them up! I will definitely make this again."
"Delicious. I also filled the cavity with celery and onion. Very moist."
"Added a little more butter. Chicken was so moist. Reheats well. Absolutely delicious!"
"I made this yesterday and it was so good! Will be making this again for sure."
"This was delic! However next time I will reduce the butter a little maybe to 1/3 cup to make a little healthier."
"While I have never been a fan of Rosemary, I tried this dish and LOVED it! I think because the Rosemary was minced it did not bother me as much. My entire family gobbled this dinner down and asked me to make it again! So worth making!!"
"This will now become the way I cook roast chicken!"
"Got a ton of compliments....very delicious!"
"This recipe was very good...The herbs gave the chicken and veggies great flavor!"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.