Roasted Chicken with Lemon Sauce Recipe
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1 medium lemon
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, quartered
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1 to 2 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Pat chicken dry. Cut lemon in half; squeeze juice over chicken. Place lemon in cavity. Rub garlic over chicken; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 2. Place chicken on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Roast 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°, basting occasionally with pan juices and adding carrots and onion during the last hour. Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly.
- 3. Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice, lemon peel and food coloring if desired.
- 5. Serve sauce with chicken and vegetables. Sprinkle with green onion. Yield: 6 servings.
6 ounces cooked chicken with 3/4 cup vegetables and 2 tablespoons sauce equals 640 calories, 32 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 179 mg cholesterol, 414 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 57 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.