- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1 medium lemon
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, quartered
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1 to 2 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°. Pat chicken dry. Cut lemon in half; squeeze juice over chicken. Place lemon in cavity. Rub garlic over chicken; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Roast 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°, basting occasionally with pan juices and adding carrots and onion during the last hour. Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly.
- Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice, lemon peel and food coloring if desired.
- Serve sauce with chicken and vegetables. Sprinkle with green onion. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Roasted Chicken with Lemon Sauce
Sort By :
"I've made this over a dozen times and we gobble it up every time! Thanks!"
"Awesome dinner....everyone liked it. We've had to change our diet to low sodium, I left off the salt, added a little no salt seasoning. Wonderful...Everyone raved about it. Wish there were more leftovers."
"I put a cut up chicken in a crock pot and my family devoured it. It is an awesome fresh chicken recipe and the sauce is incredible!"
"This chicken was simple to prepare and tasted WONDERFUL! It got rave reviews from every member of our family! The lemon sauce was something special. I will definitely make this again, and next time I'll make it for guests!"