“Our family loves chicken cooked many ways, but this roasted version is one of our favorites. If your family likes lemon flavor, this is a good dish to try. It’s so simple to make.” —Geneva Garrison, Jacksonville, Florida
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1 medium lemon
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, quartered
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1 to 2 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°. Pat chicken dry. Cut lemon in half; squeeze juice over chicken. Place lemon in cavity. Rub garlic over chicken; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Roast 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°, basting occasionally with pan juices and adding carrots and onion during the last hour. Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly.
- Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice, lemon peel and food coloring if desired.
Serve sauce with chicken and vegetables. Sprinkle with green onion.
Freeze option: Cool chicken, vegetables and sauce. Cut chicken into parts and freeze along with vegetables and sauce in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through slowly in a covered skillet until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Serve as directed. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Roasted Chicken with Lemon Sauce in Simple & Delicious February/March 2011, p33
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Roasted Chicken with Lemon Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review