Roasted Chicken with Brown Gravy Recipe
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 3 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1. Combine thyme or rosemary, salt, pepper and paprika; rub on outside of chicken and in cavity. Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Arrange bacon strips over breast portion of chicken. Bake, uncovered, at 450° for 15 minutes. Add broth to pan; baste chicken with broth. Reduce heat to 350°. Bake, basting several times, for 1-1/4 hours or until juices run clear. Remove chicken and keep warm. Skim off excess fat from pan juices. Combine water and flour; stir into juices. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. If desired, crumble bacon into gravy. Serve with chicken. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Editor's Note: Using beef broth adds a deep rich flavor to the gravy.
14 ounce-weight: 360 calories, 23g fat (7g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 701mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 34g protein.
Reviews for Roasted Chicken with Brown Gravy
"Very good, and I like that it doesn't have tons of ingredients. I used both crushed rosemary and thyme. I too used 4 strips of bacon, but mine came out burnt, so I would recommend using thick-cut bacon next time. My family liked this, and I would make it again."
"Made this for company. Absolutely delicious. Used 4 slices of bacon as had it frozen in 2's. Only other change i made was to use bit more flour & water to make gravy. Will make again."