Roasted Chicken with Basil-Rice Stuffing Recipe
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup cooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon sliced green onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2-1/4 teaspoons sunflower kernels or chopped almonds
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 pounds)
- In a small skillet, saute celery in butter until crisp-tender. In a large bowl, combine the celery, rice, parsley, green onion, basil, sunflower kernels, salt and pepper. Stuff chicken. Tie drumsticks together with kitchen string if desired. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until juices run clear and a meat thermometer reads 180° for chicken and 165° for stuffing. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes before removing stuffing. Remove skin before serving. Yield: 3-4 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Roasted Chicken with Basil-Rice Stuffing(1)
Sort By :
My family loved this recipe. I chose it because it had a rice stuffing and is very low in sodium. The chicken came out tender and moist and the rice stuffing not only tasted good but was colorful as well. I will definitely be making it again