Roasted Chicken and Potatoes Recipe
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 8 cups cubed day-old white bread
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 roasting chicken (5 to 6 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper
- 6 medium baking potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1. In a large skillet, saute celery and onion in butter for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in the poultry seasoning and sage.
- 2. Place the bread cubes in a large bowl. Stir in celery mixture and chicken broth; gently toss until moistened. Just before baking, loosely stuff chicken; tie drumsticks together.
- 3. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Combine the paprika, salt and pepper; rub over chicken.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/2 hours, basting every 30 minutes. Place the potatoes around chicken; cover and bake 1-1/2 hours longer or until potatoes are tender and a meat thermometer reads 180° for poultry and 165° for stuffing.
- 5. Sprinkle with parsley. Reserve pan drippings and thicken for gravy if desired. Yield: 4-6 servings.
8 ounce-weight: 883 calories, 43g fat (17g saturated fat), 190mg cholesterol, 756mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 6g fiber), 56g protein.
Reviews for Roasted Chicken and Potatoes
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.