Roasted Chicken and Potatoes Recipe
My mom's tender roasted chicken with potatoes and sage dressing is even more delicious than its aroma while baking. My children enjoy this meal as much as I did when I was young. —Sandra Melnychenko, Grandview, Manitoba
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 8 cups cubed day-old white bread
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 roasting chicken (5 to 6 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper
- 6 medium baking potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1. In a large skillet, saute celery and onion in butter for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in the poultry seasoning and sage.
- 2. Place the bread cubes in a large bowl. Stir in celery mixture and chicken broth; gently toss until moistened. Just before baking, loosely stuff chicken; tie drumsticks together.
- 3. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Combine the paprika, salt and pepper; rub over chicken.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/2 hours, basting every 30 minutes. Place the potatoes around chicken; cover and bake 1-1/2 hours longer or until potatoes are tender and a meat thermometer reads 180° for poultry and 165° for stuffing.
- 5. Sprinkle with parsley. Reserve pan drippings and thicken for gravy if desired. Yield: 4-6 servings.
8 ounce-weight: 883 calories, 43g fat (17g saturated fat), 190mg cholesterol, 756mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 6g fiber), 56g protein.
Reviews for Roasted Chicken and Potatoes
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC