When cooler weather comes, soup is one of our favorite meals. I developed this recipe for my husband and me. I wanted it to be a healthier version of all the cream-based soups out there. After a bit of trial and error, this is the keeper. —Elizabeth Bramkamp, Gig Harbor, Washington
Featured In: 62 Ways to Eat the Rainbow
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, halved and seeded
- 1 large head cauliflower, broken into florets (about 7 cups)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- Preheat broiler. Place peppers on a foil-lined baking sheet, skin side up. Broil 4 in. from heat until skins are blistered, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; let stand, covered, 20 minutes. Change oven setting to bake; preheat oven to 400°.
- Toss cauliflower with 2 tablespoons oil; spread in a 15x10x1-in. pan. Roast until tender, 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove skin and seeds from peppers; chop peppers.
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook until golden and softened, 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, rosemary and paprika; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in flour until blended; cook and stir 1 minute. Gradually stir in stock. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened.
Stir in cauliflower and peppers. Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool slightly and puree soup in batches in a blender; return to pot. Stir in milk and remaining seasonings; heat through. If desired, serve with cheese.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little stock or milk if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Roasted Cauliflower & Red Pepper Soup in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2017, p31
Reviews for Roasted Cauliflower & Red Pepper Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review