- 4 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 pound)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 2 cups coarsely chopped iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat poppy seed salad dressing, divided
- 1/2 cup seasoned stuffing cubes
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, toss squash and onion with honey, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Transfer to a 15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring once. Cool slightly.
- In another bowl, combine spinach, lettuce, cheese and squash mixture. Just before serving, drizzle with 4 tablespoons dressing and toss to coat. Divide salad among eight plates; top with stuffing cubes, cranberries, almonds and bacon. Drizzle with remaining dressing. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Roasted Butternut Tossed Salad
Sort By :
I didn't expect to like this. The squash in it made me nervous, but I had some to use up so I gave it a try. I am SO glad I did! This was a fantastic salad, and even my kids and father-in-law loved it! The sweetness of the cranberries was a nice touch. I made my own poppy-seed dressing instead of buying a bottle, and it was definitely something I would make again!
This salad is surprisingly fantastic, with brilliant combinations of flavors, textures, and even temperatures with the warm squash on the cool greens. I liked it so much for lunch that I had it again for dinner! I added a little oil to the honey mixture for roasting the squash, and I prepared a homemade poppyseed dressing (not fat-free) rather than make a trip to the store. Wow.
Tried this for the first time last night as a meal. I really didn't expect it to be so good. I halved the onion and it was delicious and filling.
I made this for our Thanksgiving dinner. It is a nice change of pace from other salads, and very tasty! I highly recommend it!
Prepared this salad for a sorority meeting and It was a hit and everyone wanted the recipe.