- 4 cups cubed sourdough bread
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt, ground ginger, ground cumin and pepper
- 1 cup salted shelled pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 4 shallots, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place bread cubes in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan; toss with 2 tablespoons oil. Bake 10-15 minutes or until toasted, stirring twice.
- Place squash in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Mix seasonings and remaining 3 tablespoons oil; drizzle over squash and toss to coat. Roast 35-45 minutes or until tender and lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine bread cubes, squash, pumpkin seeds, cranberries and shallots. In a small saucepan, combine the first six dressing ingredients; heat through, stirring to blend. Remove from heat; gradually whisk in oil until blended.
- Drizzle 1/2 cup dressing over salad and toss to combine. (Save remaining dressing for another use.) Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Roasted Butternut Squash Panzanella
"Amazingly delicious. This is a keeper recipe"
"This was fantastic. I love butternut squash so I knew I would like this but was surprised at just how much I loved it. This is a must make!!!!!!!!"
"I enjoyed nibbling the leftovers fridge-cold even more. The flavors are so interesting in the dressing and the 'toss', that when I read that she does not add all the dressing to serve, I just added some over what would likely be finished in one sitting and reserved the remainders uncombined to keep the crunch. Next day I discovered it nice to dip small forkfulls into a side of the dressing to coat it much like before, but each bite separately with that glazing maple sweetness & horseradishy accent. Fun trailmix-type squash presentation!"
"This recipe is delicious! We just kept re-filling our salad bowls."
"The whole family enjoyed this dish, which can be difficult with everyone having different tastes. I will be making this for Thanksgiving!"
"MMMMM!!! EXCELLENT! This made 4 main dishes for us."