Butternut squash is so versatile, I use it to make a sweet and savory bread that’s fabulous for breakfast, snacking or even dessert. —Sarah Meuser, New Milford, Connecticut
Recommended: Baking with Squash
- 3-1/2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (1-inch pieces)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place squash in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Drizzle with oil; toss to coat. Roast 25-30 minutes or until tender. Reduce oven setting to 325°.
- Transfer squash to a bowl; mash coarsely. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in mashed squash and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with yogurt, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan; sprinkle with sea salt. Bake 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Originally published as Roasted Butternut Squash Bread in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2015, p32
Reviews for Roasted Butternut Squash Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review