Beets, oranges and spinach sprinkled with goat cheese make a scrumptious new blend for a mixed green salad. The combination may seem unlikely, but I guarantee it will become a favorite. —Nancy Heishman, Las Vegas, Nevada
- 3 medium fresh beets (about 1 pound)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon, divided
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 4 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 2 medium navel oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 425°. Scrub beets and trim tops to 1 in. Wrap in foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake 50-60 minutes or until tender. Remove foil; cool completely. Peel beets and cut into wedges.
- In a small bowl, whisk oil, orange peel, orange juice, vinegar, honey, mustard, salt and pepper until blended; stir in 1 tablespoon tarragon. In a large bowl, combine spinach, salad greens and remaining tarragon. Drizzle with vinaigrette and toss gently to coat.
- Transfer to a platter or divide among 12 salad plates. Top with orange sections and beets; sprinkle with cheese and walnuts. Serve immediately. Yield: 12 servings (1 cup each).
Originally published as Roasted Beet Salad with Orange Vinaigrette in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2015, p9
Reviews for Roasted Beet Salad with Orange Vinaigrette
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review