- 2 medium fresh beets
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 cups torn Bibb or Boston lettuce
- 1 cup thinly sliced fennel bulb
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Scrub beets and trim tops to 1 in. Wrap in foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 1 hour or until tender. Remove foil; allow beets to cool.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine sweet potato and water. Cover and microwave on high for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool.
- Peel beets and cut into small wedges. On four salad plates, arrange the lettuce, fennel, beets and sweet potato. Sprinkle with nuts. Whisk the vinegar, water, honey, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper; gradually whisk in oil. Drizzle over salads. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Roasted Beet and Sweet Potato Salad
Sort By :
"We liked this salad a lot. I'm not sure I would rate it "excellent" but it was very good and we would definitely make this again. I did leave out the fennel because we are not big fans of fennel. Also, I served this with bottled balsamic vinaigrette rather than making the dressing recipe here. It seemed as if it would be the same basic flavor. Definitely a "keeper" recipe and a good way to get some very nutritious vegetables into a meal."