After making this lovely salad, you won’t want to relegate nutritious beets and sweet potatoes to the side of the plate. The contrast of tender and crunchy vegetables is fantastic. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- 2 medium fresh beets
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 cups torn Bibb or Boston lettuce
- 1 cup thinly sliced fennel bulb
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Scrub beets and trim tops to 1 in. Wrap in foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 1 hour or until tender. Remove foil; allow beets to cool.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine sweet potato and water. Cover and microwave on high for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool.
- Peel beets and cut into small wedges. On four salad plates, arrange the lettuce, fennel, beets and sweet potato. Sprinkle with nuts. Whisk the vinegar, water, honey, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper; gradually whisk in oil. Drizzle over salads. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Roasted Beet Salad in Country Woman February/March 2011, p42
Reviews for Roasted Beet and Sweet Potato Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review