- 12 fresh baby beets
- 1/2 cup canola oil, divided
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 2 clementines, peeled and sectioned
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped fennel bulb
- Place beets on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. x 12 in.). Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil. Fold foil around beets and seal tightly. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 40-50 minutes or until tender. Cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine egg white and pepper; add hazelnuts and toss to coat. Transfer to a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown, stirring twice. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, shallot, thyme and salt. Gradually whisk in remaining oil.
- Peel and thinly slice beets. Line four individual salad bowls with lettuce; top with beet and clementine slices. Sprinkle salads with fennel and hazelnuts; drizzle with dressing. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Roasted Beet and Clementine Salad in Cooking for 2 Winter 2009, p7
Reviews for Roasted Beet and Clementine Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review