Roasted Apple & Candied Walnut Salad Recipe
To add even more visual interest and tasty texture, our Test Kitchen tops a pretty plated salad with roasted apple fans and crunchy walnuts.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 large apples, peeled
- 3/4 cup apple cider or juice
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup walnut oil or canola oil
- 5 cups torn romaine
- 5 cups torn red leaf lettuce
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 1. In a small heavy skillet, melt butter. Add walnuts and cook over medium heat until toasted, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Cook and stir for 2-4 minutes or until sugar is melted. Spread on foil to cool.
- 2. Core apples and cut into quarters. Slice apples, but not all the way through, leaving slices attached at the stem end. Place apple quarters in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; fan slightly.
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk the cider, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper; gradually whisk in oil. Set aside 1 cup for dressing; drizzle remaining mixture over apples. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 18-22 minutes or until tender.
- 4. Meanwhile, arrange the romaine, leaf lettuce, onion and cranberries on 12 salad plates. Top each with a roasted apple fan; sprinkle with cheese and candied nuts. Drizzle with reserved dressing. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving equals 168 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 191 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC