Roast Turkey with Sausage-Cabbage Stuffing Recipe
This turkey and trimmings recipe is a staple in my family. No one guesses that there's cabbage in the stuffing! — Alma Winberry, Great Falls, Montana
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 turkey (12 to 14 pounds)
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Links
- 3 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups seasoned stuffing cubes
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1. In a small bowl, mix the butter, thyme, salt and pepper. Place turkey on a rack in a shallow roasting pan, breast side up. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from the turkey breast; rub half of the butter mixture under the skin. Rub remaining butter mixture over turkey. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together.
- 2. Bake at 325° for 3 to 3-3/4 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. Baste occasionally with pan drippings.
- 3. For stuffing, in a Dutch oven, cook sausage over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 1 tablespoon.
- 4. Add the cabbage, carrot, celery and onion to reserved drippings; cook and stir over medium heat until tender. Stir in cream, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper.
- 5. Add the stuffing cubes, egg and sausage; toss to combine. Stir in enough broth to reach desired moistness; transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 10-15 minutes longer or until lightly browned.
- 6. Remove turkey from oven; cover loosely with foil and let stand for 20 minutes before carving. Serve with stuffing. Yield: 12 servings (about 8 cups stuffing).
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC