Roast Pork with Apple Topping Recipe
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 pork loin roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 1-1/2 cups applesauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1. In a small bowl, combine flour, 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, ground mustard, caraway, sugar, pepper and sage; rub over roast. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- 2. Place on a greased baking rack, fat side up, in roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 1 hour. Combine applesauce, brown sugar, mace and remaining salt; spread over roast. Roast 1 hour longer or until the internal temperature reaches 160°-170°. Let stand 15 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8-10 servings.
5 ounces cooked pork equals 291 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 90 mg cholesterol, 470 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 35 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 starch.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.