Roast Pork with Apple Topping
I enjoy cooking and am constantly on the lookout for new recipes to try. I feel very fortunate when I find a dish like this that becomes a family favorite. Ever since I found this recipe several years ago, it's the main way I fix pork loin.
-Virgina Barrett, Rochester, New York
8-10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 2 hours + standing
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 pork loin roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 1-1/2 cups applesauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- In a small bowl, combine flour, 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, ground mustard,
- caraway, sugar, pepper and sage; rub over roast. Cover and let stand
- for 30 minutes.
- Place on a greased baking rack, fat side up, in roasting pan. Bake,
- uncovered, at 325° for 1 hour. Combine applesauce, brown sugar,
- mace and remaining salt; mix well. Spread over roast. Roast 1 hour
- longer or until the internal temperature reaches 160°-170°.
- Let stand 15 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 291 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 90 mg cholesterol, 470 mg sodium,