Roast Pork Soup
This well-seasoned satisfying soup has a rich full-bodied broth brimming with tender chunks of pork, potatoes and navy beans. "It has been a family favorite for years," notes Sue Gulledge of Springville, Alabama. "Served with corn bread, it's one of our comfort foods in winter."
9 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 55 min.
- 3 cups cubed cooked pork roast
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh basil
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, combine the first nine ingredients.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or
- until vegetables are crisp-tender. Sprinkle with basil. Yield: 9
Nutritional Facts: One 1-cup serving (prepared with no-salt-added tomatoes and without salt) equals 192 calories, 5 g fat (0 saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 236 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 meat, 1 vegetable.