Roast Pork Paprikash Recipe
- 7 garlic cloves
- 1 boneless whole pork loin roast (3 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and quartered
- 3 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 2 teaspoons paprika, divided
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1. Cut six garlic cloves into slices. With a knife, cut slits in roast; insert garlic slices. Rub meat with 3/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown meat on all sides. Remove pork from pan. With a spatula, spread mustard over roast.
- 2. In a roasting pan, place the tomatoes, onions, celery and green pepper. Add broth. Place roast on vegetables. Sprinkle roast and vegetables with 1/2 teaspoon paprika.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Remove meat to a serving platter and keep warm.
- 4. For gravy, strain vegetables, reserving cooking liquid. Set vegetables aside. Skim fat from liquid. In a food processor, puree vegetables and 1/2 cup cooking liquid until smooth. Combine 1 cup pureed vegetables and remaining cooking liquid. Add enough water to measure 2-1/2 cups; set aside.
- 5. In a large saucepan, cook mushrooms and remaining garlic in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes. Add lemon juice, thyme, remaining salt and paprika and reserved pureed vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with roast. Yield: 12 servings.
One serving (3 ounces cooked pork with 1/4 cup gravy) equals 221 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 446 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.