- 1 leg of lamb (5 to 6 pounds)
- 3 garlic cloves, slivered
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 jar (12 ounces) plum jam
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup white grape juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- Remove thin fat covering from the roast. Make slits in meat; insert a garlic sliver in each. Place on a rack in a large roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 1-1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, for plum sauce, in a medium saucepan, saute onions in butter until tender. Add the jam, chili sauce, grape juice, lemon juice and allspice; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Baste roast with sauce. Bake 1 hour longer, basting occasionally, or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium, a meat thermometer should read 160°; well-done, 170°), basting occasionally with plum sauce. Bring the remaining sauce to a boil; stir in parsley. Let roast stand for 10-15 minutes before carving. Serve remaining sauce with roast. Yield: 11 servings.
Originally published as Roast Lamb with Plum Sauce in Taste of Home April/May 1996, p17
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Roast Lamb with Plum Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 23, 2013
"Suburb! The plum sauce was outstanding . Would use the sauce on lamb chops too!"