- 1 leg of lamb (5 to 6 pounds)
- 3 garlic cloves, slivered
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 jar (12 ounces) plum jam
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup white grape juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- Remove thin fat covering from the roast. Make slits in meat; insert a garlic sliver in each. Place on a rack in a large roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 1-1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, for plum sauce, in a medium saucepan, saute onions in butter until tender. Add the jam, chili sauce, grape juice, lemon juice and allspice; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Baste roast with sauce. Bake 1 hour longer, basting occasionally, or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium, a meat thermometer should read 160°; well-done, 170°), basting occasionally with plum sauce. Bring the remaining sauce to a boil; stir in parsley. Let roast stand for 10-15 minutes before carving. Serve remaining sauce with roast. Yield: 11 servings.
Originally published as Roast Lamb with Plum Sauce in Taste of Home April/May 1996, p17
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Roast Lamb with Plum Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 23, 2013
"Suburb! The plum sauce was outstanding . Would use the sauce on lamb chops too!"