Roast Duck with Orange Glaze Recipe
This duck is a nice alternative for a festive dinner on holidays. The meat remains moist and tender, thanks to the fruity glaze and simple stuffing. —Jeanne Koelsch, San Rafael, California
- 1 domestic duck (4 to 6 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch dried thyme
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 4 cups crushed seasoned stuffing
- ORANGE GLAZE:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 drop hot pepper sauce
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Sprinkle inside of duck with caraway seeds; prick skin all over with a fork. In a large skillet, sauté vegetables in oil. Stir in broth, seasonings and stuffing.
- 2. Loosely stuff duck with stuffing mixture. Skewer neck opening; tie drumsticks together with kitchen string. Place breast side up on a rack in a large shallow roasting pan.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, 2-1/2 to 3-1/4 hours or until a thermometer reads 180° for the duck and 165° for the stuffing. Drain fat from pan as it accumulates. Cover loosely with foil if duck browns too quickly. Cover and let stand 20 minutes before removing stuffing and carving.
- 4. Meanwhile, for glaze, combine sugars, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. Gradually stir in orange juice, peel and hot pepper sauce until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with duck. Yield: 4 servings (4 cups stuffing).
8 ounces cooked meat with 1 cup stuffing: 1039 calories, 54g fat (18g saturated fat), 154mg cholesterol, 1377mg sodium, 93g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 5g fiber), 42g protein .
Reviews for Roast Duck with Orange Glaze
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC