Roast Chicken with Oyster Stuffing Recipe
- 1 can (8 ounces) whole oysters
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 cups cubed bread, lightly toasted
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 to 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1. Drain oysters, reserving liquid; coarsely chop oysters. Set aside. In a small skillet, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Stir in parsley and Italian seasoning. Place bread cubes in a large bowl; add the butter mixture, oysters and 1/4 cup reserved oyster liquid.
- 2. Just before baking, loosely stuff chicken with stuffing. Place breast side up on a rack in a large roasting pan; tie drumsticks together. Combine melted butter and paprika; spoon over chicken.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 165° when inserted in center of stuffing and thigh reaches at least 170°, basting occasionally with pan drippings. (Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly.)
- 4. Cover chicken and let stand for 10 minutes before removing stuffing and carving. Skim fat and thicken pan juices if desired. Yield: 6 servings (4 cups stuffing).
8 ounces cooked chicken with 2/3 cup stuffing equals 738 calories, 48 g fat (19 g saturated fat), 239 mg cholesterol, 447 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 61 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.