Roast Chicken with Oyster Stuffing Recipe
- 1 can (8 ounces) whole oysters
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 cups cubed bread, lightly toasted
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 to 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1. Drain oysters, reserving liquid; coarsely chop oysters. Set aside. In a small skillet, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Stir in parsley and Italian seasoning. Place bread cubes in a large bowl; add the butter mixture, oysters and 1/4 cup reserved oyster liquid.
- 2. Just before baking, loosely stuff chicken with stuffing. Place breast side up on a rack in a large roasting pan; tie drumsticks together. Combine melted butter and paprika; spoon over chicken.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 165° when inserted in center of stuffing and thigh reaches at least 170°, basting occasionally with pan drippings. (Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly.)
- 4. Cover chicken and let stand for 10 minutes before removing stuffing and carving. Skim fat and thicken pan juices if desired. Yield: 6 servings (4 cups stuffing).
1 each: 738 calories, 48g fat (19g saturated fat), 239mg cholesterol, 447mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 61g protein
Reviews for Roast Chicken with Oyster Stuffing
"Had this tonight. Delish!!!My changes: had smaller chicken (scant 4 lbs) so halved the melted butter and paprika(used 1 tsp smoked paprika and scant 2 tbsp melted butter)Made full recipe of dressing, the leftover i put in a covered casserole and baked for the last 3/4 hr., removing cover for last 20 minutes.(We like our stuffing a bit on the dry side), if too dry mix with a little of the leftover oyster liquid, as the can has more than the 1/4 cup used in the dressing.For fellow Canadians..I used Cloverleaf brand whole oysters, 133g. can (i think that's about 6 oz., plenty to flavour the dressing.Will make again."
"I would definitely make the chicken again. The oyster stuffing, I would not, as my third son is deathly allergic to seafood. It does look good though."
"Very good, moist and tasty"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.