Roast Chicken with Oyster Stuffing Recipe
- 1 can (8 ounces) whole oysters
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 cups cubed bread, lightly toasted
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 to 2 teaspoons paprika
- Drain oysters, reserving liquid; coarsely chop oysters. Set aside. In a small skillet, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Stir in parsley and Italian seasoning. Place bread cubes in a large bowl; add the butter mixture, oysters and 1/4 cup reserved oyster liquid.
- Just before baking, loosely stuff chicken with stuffing. Place breast side up on a rack in a large roasting pan; tie drumsticks together. Combine melted butter and paprika; spoon over chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 165° when inserted in center of stuffing and thigh reaches at least 170°, basting occasionally with pan drippings. (Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly.)
- Cover chicken and let stand for 10 minutes before removing stuffing and carving. Skim fat and thicken pan juices if desired. Yield: 6 servings (4 cups stuffing).
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Roast Chicken with Oyster Stuffing(3)
Sort By :
Had this tonight. Delish!!!
My changes: had smaller chicken (scant 4 lbs) so halved the melted butter and paprika(used 1 tsp smoked paprika and scant 2 tbsp melted butter)
Made full recipe of dressing, the leftover i put in a covered casserole and baked for the last 3/4 hr., removing cover for last 20 minutes.(We like our stuffing a bit on the dry side), if too dry mix with a little of the leftover oyster liquid, as the can has more than the 1/4 cup used in the dressing.
For fellow Canadians..I used Cloverleaf brand whole oysters, 133g. can (i think that's about 6 oz., plenty to flavour the dressing.Will make again.
I would definitely make the chicken again. The oyster stuffing, I would not, as my third son is deathly allergic to seafood. It does look good though.
Very good, moist and tasty
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Chicken >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Carb Side Dishes >
- Roast Chicken >
- Roast Recipes >
- Side Dish Recipes >