Roast Chicken with Creole Stuffing Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 2 fresh Italian sausage links
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 1/2 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 cup diced fully cooked ham
- 1 cup cooked small shrimp, peeled and deveined, optional
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 roasting chicken (5 to 6 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Dash pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook sausages in oil until a thermometer reads 160°. Remove sausages, reserving drippings. When cool enough to handle, cut sausages in half lengthwise, then into 1/4-in. pieces; set aside.
- 2. Saute onion, garlic and peppers in drippings until tender, about 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes, lemon juice, basil, sugar, hot pepper sauce, bouillon, chili powder, pepper, thyme and 1 teaspoon salt; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Add to the cooked rice. Stir in ham, shrimp if desired, parsley and sausage; mix lightly.
- 3. Just before baking, stuff the chicken with about 3-1/2 cups stuffing. Place remaining stuffing in a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish; cover and refrigerate. Place chicken on a rack in a roasting pan; tie drumsticks together. Combine paprika, pepper and remaining salt; rub over chicken.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/2 hours, basting every 30 minutes. Cover and bake 1-1/2 hours longer or until juices run clear. Bake additional stuffing for the last 40 minutes of baking time, uncovering during the last 10 minutes. Yield: 8 servings (8 cups stuffing).
1 serving (1 each) equals 472 calories, 24 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 106 mg cholesterol, 766 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 36 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.