Roast Beef Vegetable Soup
I'm currently retired and an Assistant Scout Master of a troop. I've taught boys to cook for 35 years. This is a nice recipe for teaching basic cooking skills. Plus, the soup cooks all day, leaving you free to do other things.—Earnest Riggs, Niles, Michigan
12 ServingsPrep: 35 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cans (one 28 ounces, one 14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 4 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2-1/2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1-1/4 cups frozen baby lima beans
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, brown beef in oil; drain. Transfer to a 6-qt.
- slow cooker. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on
- low for 8-10 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Yield:
- 12 servings (about 4 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/3 cups equals 247 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 963 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 19 g protein.