Roast Beef Stew
In Meridian, Mississippi, Annice Brewer warms guests with this hearty stew brimming with beef, potatoes and tomatoes. "I serve it corn bread and chocolate pie for dessert. I've never had a complaint."Annice Brewer, Meridian, Mississippi
12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 2 cups cubed cooked roast beef
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cup water
- 3 large red potatoes, diced
- 2 cups frozen lima beans
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine all of the ingredients. Bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook until vegetables are tender,
- about 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 135 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 531 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.