- 2 pounds cubed cooked roast beef
- 1-1/4 cups chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4-1/2 cups water
- 1 jar (12 ounces) beef au jus gravy
- 1 cup leftover beef gravy or 1 can (10-1/4 ounces) beef gravy
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, saute beef and onions in oil until onions are tender. Add the next eight ingredients; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Stir in lentils; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add vegetables; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until lentils and vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaves. Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Roast Beef Soup
"This was perfect..making it for my husband with leftover roast beef because I am going on a trip, and he'll need something to tide him over! The meat turned out so tender..the lentils add body to this soup."
"Had carrots, potatoes and onions left over with roast. Cubed all and placed in 8 qt saucepan. Added leftover gravy, 1 can beef broth, 1 qt jar home canned tomatoes with juice, 1 can corn with liquid, 1 can cut green beans with liquid, salt, pepper and 4 cups water. Came out great and used all my leftovers."
"Wonderful flavoring but just note that it takes longer to cook. It might be a typo -- 1 hour 40 minutes. Also, since I didn't have roast beef left overs, I got an order of thick the roast beef from the deli and it worked just fine."