Your family is sure to enjoy this fabulous homemade version of a restaurant favorite—and it’s a terrific way to use up leftover roast beef. Writes Delia Kennedy from Deer Park, Washington, “These chimichangas are so good! They make a meal all by themselves.”
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cooked roast beef
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 flour tortillas (10 inches), warmed
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil for 1-2 minutes or until tender. Add the roast beef, olives, salsa and cumin. Cook and stir over medium heat for 4-6 minutes or until heated through. Stir in cheese. Remove from the heat.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup meat mixture off-center on each tortilla. Fold sides and ends over filling and roll up; secure with a toothpick. Repeat.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry chimichangas for 2-3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Drain on paper towels. Discard toothpicks. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Roast Beef Chimichangas in Simple & Delicious March/April 2007, p49
Reviews for Roast Beef Chimichangas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 4, 2009
"Excellent way to use up left over roast beef. Family loved it with fresh salsa and sour cream."