When making this soup, I tend to clean out the refrigerator by adding all kinds of leftovers. In fact, my family says they have to watch out for the kitchen sink!
- 2 cups beef broth
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups chopped cooked roast beef
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup frozen or canned peas
- 1/2 cup frozen or canned cut green or wax beans
- Seasoned salt to taste
- In a stockpot, combine the first 10 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the soup, peas and beans. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add seasoned salt. Yield: 12-14 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Beef Barley Soup in Country Extra January 1996, p51
Reviews for Roast Beef and Barley Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review