Risotto with Asparagus Recipe
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 7-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cups uncooked arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Place asparagus in a large saucepan; add 1/2 in. of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and maintain at a simmer. In a large heavy skillet, cook onion in oil over medium heat until tender. Add rice and stir to coat well; cook 3 minutes longer. Add wine and cook until absorbed.
- 3. Stir in 1 cup simmering broth. Cook until broth is almost completely absorbed, stirring frequently, then add another cup of simmering broth. Repeat until only about 1/4 cup of broth remains (discard remaining broth); the process should take about 20 minutes. Rice should be slightly firm in center and look creamy.
- 4. Add asparagus; heat through. Remove from the heat; add the butter, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Serve immediately. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 264 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 626 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.