This is a rich-tasting, elegant dish! It gets great flavor from the onion and wine combination. —Stephanie Marchese
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 7-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cups uncooked arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place asparagus in a large saucepan; add 1/2 in. of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and maintain at a simmer. In a large heavy skillet, cook onion in oil over medium heat until tender. Add rice and stir to coat well; cook 3 minutes longer. Add wine and cook until absorbed.
- Stir in 1 cup simmering broth. Cook until broth is almost completely absorbed, stirring frequently, then add another cup of simmering broth. Repeat until only about 1/4 cup of broth remains (discard remaining broth); the process should take about 20 minutes. Rice should be slightly firm in center and look creamy.
- Add asparagus; heat through. Remove from the heat; add the butter, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Serve immediately. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Risotto with Asparagus in Test Kitchen Favorites 2004 2005, p185
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Risotto with Asparagus
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review