Rio Grande Quesadillas Recipe
A well-seasoned filling of chicken and refried beans makes this quick Southwest specialty from Shawn Nelson of Evansville, Indiana a popular choice for lunch or supper. Green onions and cilantro add a burst of fresh flavor.
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 cup refried beans
- 6 flour tortillas (7 inches)
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1. In a saucepan, bring the chicken, water and taco seasoning to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in the beans.
- 2. Spoon about 1/2 cup chicken mixture over half of each tortilla; top with pimientos, onion, cilantro and cheese. Fold over. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook quesadilla in 1 tablespoon oil for 1-2 minutes on each side or until cheese is melted, using additional oil as needed. Cut into wedges. Yield: 3-6 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC