Rio Grande Pork Roast
Years ago, I used this recipe many times during in-store promotions when I was the Nebraska Pork Industry Queen. It is still a family favorite and one I like to make when we have company. —Konnie McKown of Ringgold, Georgia
10 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Bake: 70 min.
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, divided
- 1 lean boneless top loin pork roast (3 pounds)
- 1/2 cup apple jelly
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- Rub garlic, salt and 1/2 teaspoon chili powder over roast. Place on a
- rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30
- minutes. In a small saucepan, combine the apple jelly, barbecue
- sauce and remaining chili powder; bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Pour over roast. Bake 40-50
- minutes longer or until a met thermometer reads 160°, basting
- occasionally. Remove roast and keep warm.
- Stir drippings in pan to loosen browned bits; pour into a 2-cup
- measuring cup. Skim fat. Add enough water to measure 1-1/4 cups.
- Transfer to a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat;
- serve with the roast. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (4 ounces cooked pork with 2 tablespoons pan juices) equals 286 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 89 mg cholesterol, 346 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 35 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 fruit.