- 12 ounces uncooked rigatoni or large tube pasta
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat or feta cheese
- Thinly sliced fresh basil, optional
- Cook rigatoni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook sausage over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add tomato paste; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until meat is coated. Stir in tomatoes, dried basil and pepper flakes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Drain rigatoni; stir into sausage mixture. Add peas and cream; heat through. Top with cheese and, if desired, fresh basil. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Rigatoni with Sausage & Peas
Sort By :
This was good. Easy to make. I will make it again. However, I did not use Johnsonville Mild Ground Italian Sausage. I prefer buying sausage from a butcher (not a grocery store). I used 3 mild Italian sausages. I just took the meat out of the casings before cooking. I used the entire 6 ounce can of tomato paste. Next time I will use the entire container of whipping cream and perhaps will adjust the basil too. 12 ounce bag of rigatoni? It is a 16 ounce bag so the additional 4 ounces went in. Oh, I also added some mushroom and onion that I had leftover from the day before. Even with these changes it was still good, my guess is that if you followed it exactly it would still be yummy. I like this recipe because it is quick and it makes plenty for freezing for other meals. By the way, I did not add the cheese to the frozen dishes. I will add after reheating.
More Recipe Collections
- Cheese Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Pasta & Sauces >
- Pasta Dinners >
- Pasta Recipes >
- Pea Recipes >
- Pork Dinner Recipes >
- Quick Dinner Recipes >
- Quick Pasta Dinner Recipes >
- Sausage Dinner Recipes >
- Simple Dinner Recipes >
- Simple Quick Recipes >
- Simple Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Cheese Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Dinner Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Italian Recipes >