- 12 ounces uncooked rigatoni or large tube pasta
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat or feta cheese
- Thinly sliced fresh basil, optional
- Cook rigatoni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook sausage over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add tomato paste; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until meat is coated. Stir in tomatoes, dried basil and pepper flakes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Drain rigatoni; stir into sausage mixture. Add peas and cream; heat through. Top with cheese and, if desired, fresh basil. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Rigatoni with Sausage & Peas
"My son doesn't usually like having tomatoes in a dosh, but he gobbled this up! It did seem a little dry, but maybe I cooked the sauce too long."
"We thought this was good, but nothing special. It's a good weeknight meal because it is quick to throw together. Not sure if I will make again."
"really good! I used smoked gouda instead of feta. Kids loved it"
"Outstanding flavor! The cream base was the perfect foundation for this recipe. I will definitely make this again!"
"OMG I made this recipe last night. I used hot Italian sausage and extra frozen peas. I love Feta cheese and fresh basil so I used extra also. Will definitely make this again. A keeper for me."