Rigatoni Chard Toss Recipe
- 8 ounces uncooked rigatoni or large tube pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Cook rigatoni according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add Swiss chard and onion; cook and stir 4 minutes. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in tomatoes, beans, salt, pepper flakes, fennel and pepper. Cook 3-4 minutes longer or until chard is tender.
- 3. Drain rigatoni, reserving 1/4 cup pasta water. Add rigatoni, pasta water and basil to skillet; toss to combine. Serve with cheese. Yield: 11 servings.
3/4 cup pasta mixture equals 159 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 291 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.