Rigatoni Chard Toss Recipe
- 8 ounces uncooked rigatoni or large tube pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Cook rigatoni according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add Swiss chard and onion; cook and stir 4 minutes. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in tomatoes, beans, salt, pepper flakes, fennel and pepper. Cook 3-4 minutes longer or until chard is tender.
- 3. Drain rigatoni, reserving 1/4 cup pasta water. Add rigatoni, pasta water and basil to skillet; toss to combine. Serve with cheese. Yield: 10 servings.
3/4 cup: 159 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 291mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Rigatoni Chard Toss
"Very good - even my girls, ages 4 and 6, enjoyed it and asked for seconds! And I love that it's healthy and a great way to use garden fresh swiss chard."
"Very good. Made 6 main dish servings. Served with sourdough bread and fruit."
"This was a very tasty recipe. Great way to use chard or any greens. Lots of good veggies in here, too. Thanks!"
"Does this really make 11 servings??? I have three teenage sons ....."
"This is a great way to use extra chard from the garden! My carnivore husband didn't even miss the meat. I used garbanzo beans instead of the cannellini beans because that's what we had on hand."
"This recipe is excellent! I have made it several times. I leave out the fennel seeds (because I don't have any)."
"Doubled the recipe and used for main dish. Substituted chick peas for cannelini beans, and it was delicious."