Ricotta-Stuffed French Toast Recipe
This recipe is adapted from a breakfast treat a friend of ours prepared during back-country trips into the mountains. Now we serve it to guests at our bed and breakfast, and it's one of their favorites! The maple syrup, Vermont cheese, bread from our local baker and eggs from our own Bantam hens provide plenty of energy for skiers, hikers and bicyclists who visit our inn!
- 1 loaf (1 pound) Italian bread
- 1 cup (8 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Confectioners' sugar
- Maple syrup, optional
- 1. Cut bread into 24 thin slices. Spread 12 slices with ricotta cheese; top with remaining bread slices. Beat eggs, cream, vanilla extract, nutmeg and cinnamon together.
- 2. Dip each sandwich into egg mixture. In skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Grill sandwiches slowly until golden brown; turn and grill other side.
- 3. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Top with maple syrup if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 182 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 87 mg cholesterol, 281 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.
Reviews for Ricotta-Stuffed French Toast
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC