Ricotta-Stuffed French Toast Recipe
- 1 loaf (1 pound) Italian bread
- 1 cup (8 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Confectioners' sugar
- Maple syrup, optional
- 1. Cut bread into 24 thin slices. Spread 12 slices with ricotta cheese; top with remaining bread slices. Beat eggs, cream, vanilla extract, nutmeg and cinnamon together.
- 2. Dip each sandwich into egg mixture. In skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Grill sandwiches slowly until golden brown; turn and grill other side.
- 3. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Top with maple syrup if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
1 each: 182 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 281mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein
Reviews for Ricotta-Stuffed French Toast
"Ricotta is from heaven."
"Wonderful!!! Our whole family (2 adults and 5 kids, ages 3 to 10) loved this recipe. The sprinkle of confectioners' sugar makes it an elegant presentation and the flavor is wonderful! Besides all that, it's very easy to make. I used homemade french bread so I didn't use as many pieces of bread as the recipe called for, but it all worked out well. I only wish I knew where the bed and breakfast is that uses this recipe. We'd love to visit!!"