Ricotta Scones with Rhubarb-Orange Compote Recipe
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1/2 small navel orange, peeled and pureed
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and orange juice until smooth. Stir in rhubarb and orange. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened and rhubarb is tender. Remove from the heat; cool.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the egg, cream, cheese and orange peel; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- 3. Divide dough in half; pat each into a 7-in. circle. Cut each into six wedges. Separate wedges and place on a greased baking sheet. Brush with cream; sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. Serve warm with compote. Yield: 1 dozen (3/4 cup compote).
1 scone with 1 tablespoon compote: 386 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 361mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein
Reviews for Ricotta Scones with Rhubarb-Orange Compote
"easy to make, nice creamy texture, moist"