- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1/2 small navel orange, peeled and pureed
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and orange juice until smooth. Stir in rhubarb and orange. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened and rhubarb is tender. Remove from the heat; cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the egg, cream, cheese and orange peel; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Divide dough in half; pat each into a 7-in. circle. Cut each into six wedges. Separate wedges and place on a greased baking sheet. Brush with cream; sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. Serve warm with compote. Yield: 1 dozen (3/4 cup compote).
Originally published as Ricotta Scones with Rhubarb-Orange Compote in Country Woman April/May 2011, p43
Reviews for Ricotta Scones with Rhubarb-Orange Compote
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review