Ricotta Sausage Triangles Recipe
- 1 carton (15 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped ripe olives
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 96 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- Olive oil-flavored cooking spray
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients. In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir into cheese mixture.
- 2. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface with a short end facing you. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Spray sheet with cooking spray; repeat with one more sheet of phyllo, spraying the sheet with cooking spray. Cut into three 14-in. x 3-in. strips.
- 3. Place a rounded teaspoonful of filling on lower corner of each strip. Fold dough over filling, forming a triangle. Fold triangle up, then fold triangle over, forming another triangle. Continue folding, like a flag, until you come to the end of the strip.
- 4. Spritz end of dough with spray and press onto triangle to seal. Turn triangle and spritz top with spray. Repeat with remaining phyllo and filling.
- 5. Place triangles on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
- 6. Freeze option: Freeze unbaked triangles in freezer containers, separating layers with waxed paper. To use, bake triangles as directed, increasing time as necessary until golden and heated through. Yield: 12 dozen.
1 triangle equals 42 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 64 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1/2 starch.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.