- 1 carton (15 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 jar (8 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped ripe olives
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 96 sheets phyllo dough (14x9-inch size)
- Olive oil-flavored cooking spray
- Warm marinara sauce, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients. In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir into cheese mixture.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface with a short end facing you; spray with cooking spray. Top with a second sheet of phyllo; spray again with cooking spray. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Cut layered sheets into three 14x3-in. strips.
- Place a rounded teaspoonful of filling on lower corner of each strip. Fold dough over filling, forming a triangle. Fold triangle up, then fold triangle over, forming another triangle. Continue folding, like a flag, until you come to the end of the strip.
- Spritz end of dough with spray and press onto triangle to seal. Turn triangle and spritz top with spray. Repeat with remaining phyllo and filling.
Place triangles on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with marinara sauce if desired.
Freeze option: Freeze unbaked triangles in freezer containers, separating layers with waxed paper. To use, bake triangles as directed, increasing time as necessary until golden and heated through. Yield: 12 dozen.
Originally published as Ricotta Sausage Triangles in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2011, p11
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Ricotta Sausage Triangles
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review