Ricotta Pancakes with Cinnamon Apples Recipe
- 2 medium apples, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/4 cups cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Maple syrup
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook apples in butter over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, combine the cheese, milk, egg yolks, lemon peel, juice and remaining sugar. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- 3. Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a greased hot griddle; turn when bubbles form on top. Cook until the second side is golden brown. Serve with apples and maple syrup. Yield: 8 servings.
3 pancakes with 1/3 cup apples (calculated without syrup) equals 257 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 98 mg cholesterol, 314 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat.