Ricotta Nut Torte Recipe
- 2 cartons (15 ounces each) ricotta cheese
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 milk chocolate candy bar (7 ounces), grated
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whole hazelnuts and chocolate curls, optional
- 1. For filling, in a small bowl, beat ricotta cheese and sugar until smooth; beat in vanilla. Fold in pecans and chocolate. Cover and refrigerate.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- 3. Pour into three waxed paper-lined 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. Cut each cake in half. Place one bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup filling. Repeat layers four times. Top with remaining cake. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 5. In a large bowl, beat cream until thickened. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form. Spread over top and sides of cake. Garnish with hazelnuts and chocolate curls if desired. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 836 calories, 47g fat (21g saturated fat), 143mg cholesterol, 424mg sodium, 92g carbohydrate (69g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Reviews for Ricotta Nut Torte
"My family loves it. Friends are always surprised by the ingredients."
"This is a fabulous dessert cake for a very special occassion! Everyone loved it and asked for the recipe. I told them it was a "cannoli" cake since the ingredients are so similar."