- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in
- vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the
- creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each
- Pour into three waxed paper-lined 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at
- 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Cut each cake in half. Place one bottom layer on a serving plate;
- spread with 1 cup filling. Repeat layers four times. Top with
- remaining cake. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until thickened. Add confectioners' sugar
- and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form. Spread over top and sides
- of cake. Garnish with hazelnuts and chocolate curls if desired.
- Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 836 calories, 47 g fat (21 g saturated fat), 143 mg cholesterol, 424 mg sodium, 92 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 16 g protein.