When my family comes for a visit, they always ask me to make this unique dish for dinner. Homemade cheesy gnocchi is topped with a rich sauce made with butternut squash, spinach and Gorgonzola.— Brud Holland, Watkins Glen, New York
- 3 large potatoes
- 3 cups reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 6 eggs
- 4-1/2 cups cake flour
- 4 quarts water
- 2-2/3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1-1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- Scrub and pierce potatoes. Bake at 400° for 50-55 minutes or until tender. Peel potatoes; press through a potato ricer or strainer into a large bowl. Cool slightly.
- Add ricotta and Romano cheeses, oil and salt to potato pulp; beat on low speed until smooth. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add flour; mix well. On a lightly floured surface, knead 10-12 times, forming a soft dough.
- Divide dough into 16 portions. On a floured surface, roll each portion into a 1/2-in.-thick rope; cut into 3/4-in. pieces. Press and roll each piece with a lightly floured fork.
- In a Dutch oven, bring water to a boil. Cook gnocchi in batches for 30-60 seconds or until they float. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
- In a large saucepan, combine the squash, basil, water, oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 4-6 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Stir in cream and Gorgonzola. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Add spinach; cook until spinach is wilted. Serve with gnocchi. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Ricotta Gnocchi with Spinach & Gorgonzola in Easy Italian Cookbook 2013 2013, p47
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Ricotta Gnocchi with Spinach & Gorgonzola
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review