Ricotta Gnocchi in Tomato Sauce Recipe
If you like trying out new dishes and enjoy Italian food, you should give this recipe a try. We think you'll agree that homemade pasta just tastes better.—Jenn Martin, Sebago, Maine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 carton (15 ounces) whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, cubed
- Minced fresh basil, optional
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, water, sugar and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until flavors are blended, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, for gnocchi, in a large bowl, mix ricotta cheese, eggs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper until blended. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough that holds its shape.
- In a Dutch oven, bring 4 quarts water to a boil. Divide dough into eight portions. Roll each into a 1/2-in.-thick rope; cut crosswise into 3/4-in. pieces.
- Cook gnocchi in batches in boiling water 2-3 minutes or until they float; remove with a slotted spoon. Drain well. Add gnocchi to sauce; gently stir in mozzarella cheese. If desired, sprinkle with basil. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Ricotta Gnocchi in Tomato Sauce in Country Woman August/September 2013, p34
Reviews for Ricotta Gnocchi in Tomato Sauce(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Cheese Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Vegetarian Recipes >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Vegetarian Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Cheese Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Country Woman Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Dinner Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Italian Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Tomato Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Vegetarian Recipes >
- Tomato Recipes >