Rico Rodriguez' mom, Diane Rodriguez, shares this family-favorite recipe: Shredded chicken smothered in a seasoned tomato sauce, wrapped in a warmed tortilla and topped with cheddar cheese.
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches) or taco shells, warmed
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes
- Place chicken in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring just to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 180°.
- Using tongs, remove chicken from pan; reserve 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Cool chicken slightly. Shred when cool enough to handle.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; cook and stir until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in reserved cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in tomato sauce and seasonings; return to a boil. Stir in shredded chicken; heat through, stirring occasionally. Serve in tortillas with toppings if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Rico Rodriguez' Mom's Chicken Tacos in Taste of Home Media 2012
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Rico Rodriguez' Mom's Chicken Tacos
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review