Rich Tomato Soup Recipe
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4-1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped (4 cups)
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute carrots, celery, onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Add 4 cups broth, tomatoes, sugar, curry powder, salt if desired and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 20 minutes.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the flour and remaining broth until smooth. Gradually add to soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Yield: 9 servings (about 2 quarts).
1 cup: 115 calories, 6g fat (0g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 153mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 3g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1 starch, 1 fat
Reviews for Rich Tomato Soup
"I have made this soup several times and we love the fresh homeade taste of it. It's perfect to use up our abundance of garden tomatoes. The only part of it that is not my favorite is peeling the tomatoes. Other than that, it is actually pretty simple to make."