Rich Tomato Soup Recipe
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4-1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped (4 cups)
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute carrots, celery, onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Add 4 cups broth, tomatoes, sugar, curry powder, salt if desired and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 20 minutes.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the flour and remaining broth until smooth. Gradually add to soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Yield: 9 servings (about 2 quarts).
One 1-cup serving (prepared with margarine and low-sodium broth and without salt) equals 115 calories, 153 mg sodium, 2 mg cholesterol, 13 gm carbohydrate, 3 gm protein, 6 gm fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.